I went to the Texas District LWML convention last weekend. I learned a lot and had some "come to Jesus" moments with myself. I have been spending so much time on the computer and not any time in Bible study or devotions. Part of me knows that I"m just in a rough patch in our life - that I'm taking in Jesus' care instead of studying and devoting time to Him, but I need to do better. Just like I made a habit of getting up early and exercising, I need to make a habit, a ritual of spending time in prayer and in the Bible. Here are some notes I took from the convention and enrichment sessions.
Steps to improve societies
11) Look beneath the surface and ask hard questions – what is God trying to accomplish?
22) Break with the past
33) Live as a broken but redeemed child of the Father – the perfect vs cracked pot – watering the path; using flaws to increase the kingdom
44) Receive your limitations as gifts – personalities have limits; bound by your season of life; embrace limitations and learn to make them work for Him;
55) Learn to grieve for lost cultures – spend so much time missing old culture and dismissing new cultures – good times are all behind; keep the core of mission and values but be fluid around the edges;
Baby shower brunch – ingathering event
|Leslie and me|
This enrichment session was very good! Now I want to read his book.
Kurt Senske – Living Your Calling – Living a Life of Significance; Wine and Word book
Callings don’t always last a lifetime
Don’t get to choose our calling; Lord establishes the steps
Courage to live out calling
Branch has to stay connected to the vine to grow grapes
God uses steps to lead you to your true calling.
Less connected to vines; let random events lead us; ego gets in the way; let society standards order our priorities
Saying “I don’t have enough yet” means that you don’t trust
Open to God’s opportunities
11) Relationships with God; let Holy spirit lead your steps;
22) Instill habits and rituals – excellence is habit
33) Give back to Jerusalem – Judea – Samaria; community, state, global
44) Telling your story – talk about your purpose – telling the truth – finding the gaps
55) Figure out what rituals to implement or eliminate to close the gaps in your story
Keep improving- raise the bar – keep helping people today; but keep the needs of the future in mind; recreate a new organization to meet future needs.
Called to serve those today but see what needs to be done to continue to serve 3-5 years; healthy habits
Commandments are given to keep us well. Want to serve but needs to take time with God in order to serve others well. “costly grace” become broken so others can be made whole.
Pay attention during the times of suffering;
Weave worship and service to others - avodah – called to worship and serve;
Faith provides a unique advantage; faith story- look beyond ego; not constrained to this life; matters to be significant and gain deep satisfaction in unsexy service.
Life of significance – growing to follow and live for Christ ; how we live everyday.
Power in bold faith and actions;
Give best to God daily;
Use intuition and faith to live- what to keep and what to let go.
Peace be with you (rest in me – Jesus); as the Father sent me (to die), so I am sending you (to do the same)
Power to forgive sins; give Jesus to someone