Friday, July 25, 2014

Whole wheat tortillas and more

I'm still cooking and trying to make more things from scratch. I used this whole wheat tortilla recipe and really liked it. I used smaller balls to make smaller tortillas and that works better for us.
I've been making corn tortillas from masa for a while and love it, but I bought a huge bag of flour from Azure Standard and wanted to use some of it up too. I have a tortilla press that makes life, oh, so much better for making corn tortillas, but it doesn't work on the flour. That I had to use a rolling pin, though it wasn't hard because the recipe calls for oil, which makes the dough not stick to the rolling surface = user friendly. The hardest part is being patient and cooking each tortilla, then watching my husband shove them in his mouth sans topping, not appreciating the love time and attention that went into each one.
I found a no-knead bread recipe in a book that I've been making too, using water or whey from my homemade yogurt. (I use the whey to make pancakes too.) It has to rise a long time, but the bread turns out well, so I make it more often. There are a lot of add-in options. I used chocolate, which was not great from a taste perspective (though Millie loved it, and it was good with peanut butter) because I didn't add more sugar to make it sweet, but that makes it more hippie/artesian, right? That's how you know it's homemade-it tastes like dog doo. My family eats anything, which is why I'm so leery of introducing my creations in public - it may not be that good. It certainly is not made from super rich, super processed ingredients. I experiment a lot ;)
I've been brewing kombucha - and I love it. Again, I'm making it for me and I'll drink almost anything (from my protein drink years), so I'm leery of sharing it, especially for first-timers - because unless you're used to it and like it, kombucha tastes like vomit. I mix it with water, fruit juice, vodka, water sticks, etc. I rarely drink it straight, but sometimes I do and sometimes the first sip knocks me out. But I'm making it myself and it tastes very similar to the ones I buy from Basic Foods for much less money. And I like the science experiment in the kitchen aspect of it. I'm thinking of trying a sourdough starter, but I don't know if I'm ready for the commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment