Thursday, September 19, 2013

Bread Mix

Bread recipe 2

I’ve had this cookbook since college and it’s seen a lot of reading, not necessarily a lot of cooking-out-of.

There is a bread mix recipe that I have used a lot over the years. One of the things I use it for now is to bake bread in class to demonstrate fermentation or fungi. It’s a white bread mix- not that healthy, though you could probably make it healthier. I’m scared to mess up the proportions, though.  I use it to make a big loaf, to make 4 small loaves, to make rolls, to make pizza crust, bread sticks, pizza pockets and cinnamon nut bread.

Mix:

5 lbs all purpose flour

2 c instant non fat dry milk powder

1 c sugar

7 1/2 tea salt

Additional for basic loaf -

1 pkg quick-rise yeast

1 c warm water

1 egg

2 tbsp melted butter

The mix will yield 5 basic loaves, though I think I’ve gotten more out of it.

For the basic loaf, combine 1 cup mix with yeast, then add water, butter and egg. Beat until smooth. Stir in (use a wooden spoon) 2-3 additional cups of the bread mix to make a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 mins. Shape into a loaf, put in in a greased loaf pan. Put over a boiling water bath to rise for 20 mins. Bake 350 for 30 mins.

I’ve added jalapenos and cheese to make rolls and bread. It’s really versatile, though, like I said before, it’s not all that healthy. Very basic and works every time.

Pizza Crust

2 cups bread mix

1 tea yeast

2/3 c warm water

1 tbsp melted butter

1 tbsp cornmeal

Combine 1 c bread mix and yeast with water and butter. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining mix to form a soft dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Cover and let read 10 mins. Roll dough into whatever shape you want. Sprinkle corn meal on pizza pan. Bake 450 for 10 mins. Top then bake 10-15 mins longer. 

I use this every time I find something neat to make that calls for pre-made or frozen pizza crust. Very versatile and doesn’t really take that long.

And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment