Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Farmer’s market and cooking


The weekend before school started, I spent cooking and prepping stuff to cook. I went to the Farmer’s Market and got this haul.
FM1
Eggplants (2 varieties), squash, jalapenos, jalapeno jelly and cheese. I got mushrooms from HEB and spent the day in the kitchen. My mother had given us a bunch of meat, so I prepped and prepped and prepped.
I browned the ground beef and froze most of it in baggies to use later. I used some of it to make a stuffing – onions, jalapenos, rice, meat, mushrooms, some homemade chicken broth, etc. I froze most of that stuffing, but I used some of it to make stuffed squash, stuffed eggplant, stuffed jalapenos and stuffed bell pepper the next week. Yummy!
I also sliced the eggplant and squash and grilled it on the George Foreman. The eggplant I added some spaghetti sauce and cheese for an appetizer for Star trek Sunday.
I also took 2 cans of spaghetti sauce along with onions, mushrooms, bell peppers and meat and made spaghetti sauce. Some of that I froze for later and some I used later in the week with tortellini  I found on clearance at Big Lots.
I processed most of the jalapenos and froze them into ice cubes. I stuffed other ones for me. Oh so good. 
I also processed some garlic and froze it into a large sheet so I can just break off some as I need it.
I ended up roasting some of the smaller squash and that tasted just like candy. I’m so amazed that I have never cooked this stuff before. Grace even liked it. 
I went back to the Farmer’s Market this week and found this.
FM2
No eggplant and no cheese this week, but I’m excited to stuff those little squashes and that huge zucchini. I took Grace with me and she played on the playground for awhile. It was a continuation of our “girl’s night” from the night before. I had wanted to find eggplant and cheese and some fruit, but there wasn’t. And I’m not paying $7 for a watermelon. Just not.  Though I paid $2 each for hibiscus tea and a blueberry cake thing, though it was delicious. I need to learn to make it myself.
We made fruit bars with pears and apples and those were good. We just need to get some other fruit and experiment.
I’m still making my yogurt and eating it for breakfast and my lunches. I still make homemade chicken broth. The freezer is full, so we are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment