Monday, January 27, 2014

Garden


Garden
 
 


I’ve bought the seeds. Now I’m just waiting to start them. I’ve never started seeds before.  I’m not sure where to start. I want to make newspaper pots. I have a recipe for seed-starting medium. I need to figure out some sort of labels. I’ve been saving coke bottles and milk jugs to serve as make-shift planters/pots. I’ve some egg shells to start seeds in. It needs to be done and kept indoors somewhere Millie can’t get into it, which is limiting.  I’m really excited. I have my garden notebook I’ve been making notes in and reading lots of garden books, but  a lot of the information is contradictory, as far as when to start what plants and when. I’ve found a few websites to register your garden with and plan it there. I’ll see how they go. One of them is already requiring that I give them money to do almost anything, the other wants money to add berries to the garden. I have Burpees app on my phone, though my seeds aren’t Burpee. It has a calendar and place to input data too. I'll probably start some of the seeds this weekend while we're in the coldcapolypse.
This weekend was the coldest in  . . .  well years here in SE Texas. The temperature is much lower than normal. There was rain that turned into ice and stayed there. Icy overpasses, iced up cars. I know other parts of the world live like that all winter, but not us. Not here. Grace and I went out to do some stuff and ended up at Lowe's. I bought a mix instead of mixing my own, but some of that was cheapness (the mix was cheaper than buying the individual parts separately, though I would have had more) and mostly the product of not wanting to go out into the cold outdoors and hunt up the mixes. So Grace and I ended up with seed mix, red velvet sundae and really strong stout beer. Mission accomplished!?! We are clear and free for the whole weekend because most everything has been canceled. A novel thing for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment